Ever since we had to put Scout to sleep last winter, Caroline has been asking for a kitten. I admit, I put her off and gave the ambivalent "someday" answer.
Last weekend, Rob's boss mentioned that his family was taking care of a stray kitten that had been dumped on the side of the road. A home was found for the kitten's brother rather quickly. Knowing we were cat-less, David mentioned it to Rob. Rob mentioned it to me. I quickly declined.
Then Caroline asked again. And again. What's the harm? It's a kitten. Getting a kitten will hold off Rob's "we have to get a DOG!" proclamations indefinitely.
So I caved. Caroline and I met Harper Monday afternoon, and we brought her home tonight. She's very sweet, seems healthy and is such a cutie. Caroline is thrilled with her. The boys go from being ecstatic to being a bit wary.
It's definitely a challenge keeping tabs on a kitten with three loud, heavy-footed children in the house. Harper spent the bulk of the evening hiding under Caroline's bed. The kids are all asleep now, and I'm watching her explore her new surroundings without having to deal with the volume and sudden movements of Caroline, Gabe and Drew.
I named her Harper Lee as a homage, of sorts, to Scout. Scout was named for my favorite (female) literary character. Harper Lee is the author that wrote the book (To Kill A Mockingbird.) It's a good name, a strong name. I think it suits her well.
Let the Fun Begin!
2 months ago

1 comment:
Love the name!
Caroline's face is priceless, total joy!
I hope Harper adjusts nicely to the Egan home.
Post a Comment