
Today is a pretty exciting day in the world of Autism. The United Nations and the various Autism Awareness organizations have dubbed April 2nd, (the second day of Autism Awareness month) as World Autism Awareness Day. While this is FABULOUS news, I can't help but be a little saddened....this disorder has reached epidemic levels, and researchers are sturggling to keep up.
I could spout off all the statistics you'll likely hear on every newscast and read in every newspaper or news source. I'm not going to do that. Instead, I am going to share something that until now, I've shared with very few. Rob and I are still wrapping our heads around it, and nursing the wounds to our hearts.
Two weeks ago Gabe was diagnosed with PDD-NOS. For those who don't speak this language, it's Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified. In layman's terms, it means Gabe is on the Autism Spectrum, but we aren't sure where. He shows signs and behaviors that fall into each category, but not enough to officially be labeled PDD, Asperger's or classic Autism. The official label doesn't really matter to us. We have the diagnosis, and now it's time to kick things into high gear for another one of our children.
We've been down this road before, obviously. With Drew's diagnosis it was a relief to know what the issue was and how to go about helping him. Gabe was decidedly more difficult to diagnosis. He's somewhat of an anomaly, and doesn't seem to fit anywhere. The label is secondary, we'll take this diagnosis because it will ensure that he'll receive the therapies he needs (speech, OT and learning support).
We love ASD kids, and pretty much skipped the "why us, why our kid" reaction. But it's heartbreaking nonetheless. Will either of my boys go on to college, be married, hold down jobs, be fathers? We hope so, we really do. With the proper support now, their chances are good. Better than they would have been 15, 10 or even five years ago.
My heart breaks for my boys, that they will always have social struggles, and seem a bit "weird" or "off" to those who do not know about their diagnosis. I worry that someday Caroline may have to be the one to take care of her older brothers.
But at the end of the day I am proud to be the Mom of my ASD boys. They are quirky and fun, and I wouldn't know them or recognize them if they were nuero-typical. My boys are not in pain, they are not suffering. They see the world in a different way than the rest of us, and I am pretty darn sure that their way is much more beautiful than ours.
I urge you all, even if Autism does not touch your life or affect you personally, to advocate for ASD families. If a petition or whatnot crosses over your desk, or comes knocking at your door....please support it. Some of out most beautiful minds were autistic.
I'm the PROUD mother of not one, but TWO autistic boys.

No comments:
Post a Comment