Thursday, September 11, 2008

Update

Tonight my husband asked if I was ever going to update my blog. Truth be told, I haven't really had the energy. The school year is only three weeks in, and I am already exhausted. The kids are doing great in school, and all three seem very happy. But for me, the last five weeks have been nothing but frustrating, disheartening and utterly exhausting.

It all boils down to Gabe not getting a spot in the same building as Drew*. Most principals will honor the placement of a younger sibling when an older sibling is already enrolled in a building. Well, not the last loser principal at Drew's school. Because Gabe is not at his home school (which is not an acceptable option for my kids....go ahead and call me a snob. I don't care.) I have to provide his transportation. I knew this going in, and I understand and respect that policy.

Unfortunately, Drew was scheduled to be dropped off here at the house well before I would be back from picking up Gabe. Long story short, after several phone calls the new (and wonderful!) principal in Drew's building arranged for Drew's aide to get him from me five minutes before school starts in the morning and return him to me five minutes early in the afternoon**. Even with this arrangement, poor Gabe is still just beating the tardy bell at school.

The wonderful advocate from the Arc of Blair County was sympathetic to my plight and called the district on my behalf. All we were asking for was one way transportation. Drew would take the van to school in the morning, and I would pick him up in the afternoon. Simple enough right? Wrong. They refused. Repeatedly.

And then they accused me of taking advantage of the school district.

The school district I support by selling hoagies every time an order form comes home with one of my THREE kids. The school district I support by buying products with BoxTops so I can cut them out and send them to the schools. The school district I support by buying wrapping paper and cookie dough that I really don't need and could have gotten cheaper elsewhere. The school district I support by volunteering in the schools and classrooms whenever I am asked. Finally, the school district I support by coordinating the carnival at the pre-school. (For how many years now?) The carnival that I obsess over for a good five months of the year.

Yeah, I can see how I take advantage. How dare I ask for one-way transportation. How dare I ask the school district to save themselves some time and money by not bringing my son home from school everyday. I should really be ashamed.

So once I was able to push my hurt feelings aside, I decided I may as well take advantage. I re-instated the two-way transportation for Drew. (Gabe's school was very accommodating and will let me pick him up when the instructional day ends at 3:20 rather than waiting for private car pick-up at 3:35.) I called the Special Education office last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday mornings and left messages. Friday afternoon I called back and demanded to talk to anyone who could help me, as it was clear the supervisor in charge of Drew's case was not interested in answering her messages. A very nice assistant helped me and told me it would take up to a week for the paperwork to go through (rolleyes here) and I would be called by the special education office with a re-start date and time. Monday morning the supervisor called me back and treated me so rudely I was honestly taken aback. Pardon me for asking you to do your job.

Here it is Thursday evening, and I've heard NOTHING. That's right: nothing. Nada. Not a flippin' word. If I don't get a call tomorrow to at least update me on the situation, I will be calling the advocate back and telling him to go ahead and call that compliance monitor in Harrisburg. The monitor who makes the knees of every employee of the Altoona Area School District quiver in fear. They are in violation of Drew's IEP, and I am tired of fighting with them. My feelings are hurt, and I have lost a boatload of respect for the district and especially the special education department.

So to Tom Katouf and Amy Woomer at the Altoona Area School District, you've lost my respect. You've lost my support. You've insulted me and treated me rudely. And quite honestly, I don't believe for a second that you are acting in the best interest of my children.


* The new principal has assured me that she will approve the boundary letters for Gabe and Caroline next year!!!

**Have I mentioned she is wonderful?