
I'll let you be the judge. But I think most comparisons are pretty darn accurate.
Anywho, we've always been fans of Steamer. My favorite Steamer is the 1999-2001 Steamer. The Original. The following Steamers have all been good, but I'm a purist. The boys are used to Steamer. Drew has absolutely no fear. Gabe can be a bit timid at first, but it doesn't take him long to warm up.
Anywho, we've always been fans of Steamer. My favorite Steamer is the 1999-2001 Steamer. The Original. The following Steamers have all been good, but I'm a purist. The boys are used to Steamer. Drew has absolutely no fear. Gabe can be a bit timid at first, but it doesn't take him long to warm up.Caroline, on the other hand, is absolutely, scream-at-the-top-of-her-lungs, hide-her-face, shake in her boots, TERRIFIED of Steamer.
This could prove to be a bit of a nightmare for all involved. Not to mention, it really doesn't look good for the Altoona Curve's General Manager's kid to be so frightened by the team's mascot. yeah, not good, not good at all.
Last weekend we took her to the ballpark to show her the Steamer suit. The empty, non-threatening, immobile, Steamer suit. Nope, still terrified.
I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands. The Ck way, so to speak. I went digging through a bucket of toys until I found a small Steamer toy. Caroline was not amused At.All. I wanted her to get used to seeing Steamer. If she didn't like him, fine. But I wanted her to have a reason not to like him, other than being scared.
Steamer's been stalking Caroline all week.
If she's in the shower, Steamer's there.
Yep, Little Steamer finally secured his place in Caroline's heart and has even enjoyed hugs and kisses. He's hung out with the Carebears and penguins, and has become a permanent fixture amongst Caroline's favorite Stuffed Friends.So I kicked it up a notch. I rescued Big Steamer from the attic. He was banished there a couple years ago when Caroline decided she was much too frightened of him, and refused to enter any room if he was present.
She was NOT amused. The screaming, covering of the eyes, crying......yep...we had it all, she pulled out all her tricks. Then I mentioned he was no different than Biggie Penguin, and didn't she think Biggie Penguin needed a friend his own size?
The clouds parted, the sun shone and the angels sang. Caroline looked up at me with those big, blue eyes and said; "Oh YES! Bring Steamer upstairs to meet Biggie!"
Off we went. It was quite the introduction. Biggie and Steamer got along famously from the start.

Within a couple days, the three (and countless random Carebears) were thick as thieves.

Steamer even snuck into her bed while she slept.
The next night he was relegated to the floor, but she made him his very own bed, and even shared her new princess blanket.
The next night he was relegated to the floor, but she made him his very own bed, and even shared her new princess blanket.
They eat breakfast together.

In fact, Steamer is like another kid! He fits right in!
Is Caroline ready to meet the real Steamer? Not yet. We're going to give her some more time getting used to our Big Steamer. We've also had to kill the mystery and magic surrounding Steamer and explain that he is just a costume, like a Halloween costume. We've even gone so far as to tell her there is a BOY inside, and even told her that boy's name. She's slowing reconciling herself to the idea. Hopefully by the time Opening Day rolls around, she and the real Steamer will be able to happily and quietly co-exist.
Even if it's from opposite ends of the ballpark.

Is Caroline ready to meet the real Steamer? Not yet. We're going to give her some more time getting used to our Big Steamer. We've also had to kill the mystery and magic surrounding Steamer and explain that he is just a costume, like a Halloween costume. We've even gone so far as to tell her there is a BOY inside, and even told her that boy's name. She's slowing reconciling herself to the idea. Hopefully by the time Opening Day rolls around, she and the real Steamer will be able to happily and quietly co-exist.
Even if it's from opposite ends of the ballpark.











2 comments:
Post a Comment