Thursday, December 24, 2009

Well, that wasn't fun.

last Wednesday after picking Caroline up from school, I walked down the driveway with visions of Christmas cards dancing in my head. What I mistook for loose snow was actually ice, and I fell. I mean, dear internet, I FELL.

I heard the "snap" on my way down and immediately knew something was broken, but oddly felt no pain. Once the shock of the fall wore off, I knew it was the left leg that was affected, but didn't know whether it was the foot, ankle or leg.

I called Rob with instructions to come home immediately. (How lucky to have the cell phone in my pocket!) I then called my neighbors. No one home. I ended up calling work for help. Caroline was stuck at the top of the driveway and panic was starting to set in. Ten seconds after Rob got home, two of the ladies from work showed up. My boss actually loaded me into her car and took me to the emergency room, while Rob and Caroline waited for the boys' van.

Cut to the emergency room, which was a long wait, but I had wonderful nurses. Here's a look at my leg, post x-ray (OUCH), pre-immobilizer and post morphine.



It's pretty darn lumpy and bumpy. Let me assure you, in case you were wondering: it hurt. A LOT.

I broke the tibia and fibula and have lots of bone fragments floating around in there. Fun stuff people. Fun stuff.

I was home for two nights stuck in the immobilizer, of which I do not have a photo. I was unable to bend my knee, so doing anything was difficult. We kept the ice on rotation and the Percocet coming, and I coped. My sweet, darling, loving young(est) sister arrived on Thursday, ready to take over Mommy duties while I was in surgery on Friday.

Surgery my friends, was not enjoyable. Actually, that's incorrect, I do not recall surgery thanks to the general anesthesia. The intake/pre-op was HELL. Mis-communications, more emergent cases and bumps made the whole experience extremely unpleasant. (Sidenote: I fail to understand how I was home for a day and a half with my three CHILDREN and my leg was never touched. Yet I am in a hospital three hours and MEDICAL PERSONNEL bump into my leg three times. THREE TIMES.)

Surgery, once I was in, was quick. The recovery room was not fun. Either was the room-mate I had once I was moved to my room. Good God, I thought she would never.shut.up. The only time this woman was quiet was when she was awake. Yes you read that correctly. She talked in her sleep all night long. It was a good thing I couldn't move, otherwise I may have harmed her further.

I woke up to this:


Pretty, isn't it?

Amazingly, it doesn't hurt that much. I have general achy-ness, but no real pain. This lovely thing will be on until my surgery on January 5th. At that point the surgeon will actually put in the plates/screws/pins and other shiny things to fix the problem. I honestly have no idea what kind of cast I will be in. But I'm hoping there is nothing external.

So I am home, my parents arrived Sunday and left today. Mom took over for me so Rob could go back to work. Dad did some odd jobs for me around the house, and entertained the kids.....who were thrilled to have their grandparents around. This also took the sting off the (obviously) canceled trip to Michigan.

I'm getting around ok. I am not allowed (not that I'm able) to put any weight on my left leg/foot. Elevation is the doctor's first order. The Percocet is still my friend. I am able to bend my knee, so sleeping is much easier.

My neighbor's found a walker for me. (Sorry Julie, no tennis balls!) This walker has given me so much freedom. The crutches were not easy for me, and quite honestly they frightened me. The walker is much more my speed steady. Caroline even decorated it for me.


Dude, I rock.


The stairs up to the bedrooms/bathroom are very do-able thanks to the walker and some kick-ass crawling technique on my part. Let me tell ya, when this is all said and done, my right leg and my arms are gonna be STRONG. (Never mind the rubbermaid bin. I am hobbled people, HOBBLED!!)

Conquered!!!



The stairs down to the other half of the house....well.....I'm not going to be attempting them any time soon.

Uh, nope....not that daring.

So here I sit. Stuck on the couch. Posting may continue to be light, as there aren't many photo opportunities from my living room couch.

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year.

No comments: