Sunday, December 06, 2009

Treed

I've been promising the kids that we'd decorate the tree for a couple weeks now. This morning when I was teaching religious ed, I asked my kids who had their Christmas tree up at home. Every child raised their hand, except Caroline. She was mortified and furious. I promised her right then and there that we'd put up the tree TODAY.

Firstly, we had to get a tree. After last years' debacle with me getting hives from every scratch, poke and touch of the real tree, we had decided that an artificial tree was the best option for us from now on. Both Rob and I were a bit hesitant, but the alternative was a miserable Ck. I can handle the runny nose, itchy eyes and sneezing that comes with the real tree, but the hives and welts were just too much to handle anymore. The kids and I went to Target after religious ed and got a tree.

It was heavy. Drew pushed the box as I pulled the box.......up the stairs. The kids were all a bit dubious, how could a Christmas tree fit in a box?


It's a really big box Mom.



Really? This is a Christmas tree? Really?



We're still not buying it.




This doesn't look right at all.





Mom, I want a Christmas TREE, not an odd-shaped shrubbery.



It's starting to take shape.




Maybe if we look at it from a different angle........nope......still not sure it's really a Christmas tree.




Um Mom, isn't there supposed to be another piece?




Ok, THAT'S better!!




It's pre-lit! Woo-hoo!




Decorating...............





Gabe finally joins us, after the work is done.....of course.




We like it!!!





We REALLY like it.


I was pleasantly surprised. The tree wasn't that hard to assemble, it looks very realistic too. Most importantly, the kids are happy. Sure, there's some ornament tweaking to do, once the kids are asleep. The kitten hasn't bothered it much, there isn't a needle on my floor, it doesn't need to be watered AND most importantly, I am not an itchy, cranky mess covered in hives. (I'm just cranky, but that's nothing out of the ordinary.) (Said it before you had a chance Rob!)

The kids are excited to show their Dad when he returns from Winter Meetings. So yes, it goes without saying, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

1 comment:

Autumn said...

Great tree! We have an artifical one, too. We've saved alot of money b/c of it over the years, plus like you mentioned, we don't have to water it, vaccuum up needles, etc.