Gabe was a mess. He thought it was Saturday, so all day he fretted about mass "tomorrow." Then he realized that we didn't go to Miracle League, which is our usual Saturday activity. He was basically inconsolable. Merely reminding him that it was Wednesday, not Saturday was not cutting it. Clearly the child needed something to help him know what day it was, and what to expect, or in Gabe's case, to worry about.
I remembered the boxes of teacher stuff that had taken up residence downstairs. My friend Michele had given me three boxes of posters, bulletin board items etc. last fall when I was getting my religious ed. classroom ready. I had taken a big box of it to the school at church, choosing only what I could use in a religious setting. Lo and behold, I hit the jackpot in the stuff I had left behind. Everything I needed (and more) were in those boxes.
Using the cork board and the refrigerator, I was able to create a calendar station for Gabe. Now we can check the day, the weather and the schedule every morning. He was so happy to see it this morning, and happily told me what day it was yesterday, what day it is today and what day it will be tomorrow. We checked the weather. We checked what activity we have going on for today and what type of school activity (Today is reading.) we have planned.
Internet, it is only 10:00 in the morning, and I can already see a difference in this child. he is much more relaxed and at ease. He is no longer a bundle of nervous energy and anxiety. It's amazing what a little bit of routine can do for an autistic child.
This routine only takes three minutes out of my day. But the peace of mind it provides my son lasts all day. He's gone back multiple times this morning, to re-check everything. He's tickled that he got to do all the calendar activities. He's already looking forward to checking tomorrow's weather.
Amazing what three minutes can do for a kid.

No comments:
Post a Comment