Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend



 Wow, we were busy!  We truly enjoyed out Memorial Day weekend.  It's unusual that Rob has this weekend off, so we took full advantage of the family time.  All the while, the true meaning of this weekend was never far from our thoughts.


Friday: 

Regina and I did a bit of crafting.  I even used my very scary under-used sewing machine.  The machine and I only got into two minor disagreements.  I won both.  

I took a Learning Express t-shirt that was way too big for Regina, and transformed it into a cute little tank top.  (Please excuse the jammie pants, we hadn't quite gotten to the getting dressed part of our day.)  I have to say, I am pleased with my first attempt at this particular activity.  Yay for Pinterest!!


 

Friday also consisted of a (very hot) field trip for Gabe.  His class and many other of the classes in his wing went to Legion Park for the day.  Cindy, his aide, is fantastic.  Here they are one of the many times they went down the slide.  Cindy had to have slept well that night, as Gabe never slowed down.




Seeing as he'll turn twelve this summer, I thought it was time Drew learned how to mow the lawn.  He and I took turns taking passes in the backyard.  It's hard work, but together we got it done.  He did well for his maiden voyage.  He was really missing Uncle Alan's riding lawn mower!!

Saturday:

Saturday was so busy with Gabe's Miracle League game, Drew's (rescheduled) little league game, floor mopping and carpet cleaning for me.  Caroline and I put up the pool in the backyard, AND we went to DelGrosso's in the evening for fun, food and fireworks.  As luck would have it, it started raining about five minutes after we arrived.  We hunkered down in the van for about forty-five minutes while we waited out the storm.  When the park re-opened we discovered that little Miss Regina loved the water park. Sadly, no pics, it was impossible to hold on to her and get a picture of her AND watch out for her three siblings at the same time.  It was a long day, but worth it!

Regina enjoyed a front row seat while watching Sesame Street.  This was the perfect way for me to mop my floor without her slipping and sliding behind me.  She thought it was great fun.




Regina loved the carousel at DelGrosso's.  She giggled the entire time.  Such a change from her sister.  Caroline refused..REFUSED!  to set foot on a carousel until she was six years old, and even then she would only ride on the benches.  Regina held on and loved every second.


  Looking all brave, as well she should seeing as her baby sister showed no fear.




Momma and her girls on the train.  Yes, by this point Regina was VERY tired.
Rob and Drew rode this terrible ride.  They take you waaaay up and then basically drop you.  Drew was concerned, but excited.  I have pictures of them going up, but none of them coming down.  I didn't want to risk missing his reaction.  I am so glad I didn't!  In my eleven plus years parenting this child, I have never seen him make the face he made when this ride was "falling."  Folks, I laughed so hard I cried.  Totally worth it.



Regina found that daddy's chest was a great place to take a nap after the fireworks.


Sunday:

Sunday consisted of mass (yes Drew served again) and another baseball game.  While the boys were gone, the girls and I enjoyed the pool for a little while before yet another storm moved in.  The water was COLD.  Regina did not care.  She floated around and splashed and loved every second.


Monday:

Finally a day with no rain!  We spent almost the entire day outside.  All four kids enjoyed the pool.  When Regina got a bit cold we took her out and let her play in the wading pool.  Another big hit.  She and her Dad had a great time splashing.


 

All four of my water babies.  Yes, that is Regina's fourth hat of the day.  She kept pulling them off and throwing them in the pool.  Fun game.



We grilled and ate outside on the new patio furniture.  For dessert we made our own ice cream sandwiches.  It really was a great weekend.  Everyone was well behaved and we honestly enjoyed spending time together at home.  We don't get many long weekends like this, so we wanted to take full advantage.  I have to admit it was nice not having to go to the ballpark!!

No comments: