Thursday, August 13, 2009

Canoe Creek 2009

We've been going to Canoe Creek State park for a few years now. I still don't get it. This is not a LAKE....this is nothing more than a puddle.



This, dear internet, is a lake, Lake Michigan to be precise:
Notice how you cannot see the other side?




This is NOT a lake:
YOU CAN SEE THE OTHER SIDE!!!! Heck, you can probably have a complete conversation with someone standing on the other side. Not a lake. We consider this a PUDDLE. Just a little drop of water. Definitely, NOT a lake.



This water in this puddle "lake" makes my skin crawl. It's nasty folks, NASTY. There are no waves, no circulation At.All. Any wave activity is the product of a random canoe and the rarely seen motorboat. And even then, the waves are nothing more than ripples.



Look at this water...it's GREEN!!




Unlike Lake Michigan: (Picture stolen borrowed from my sister)(Permission granted for y'all to drool over my adorable and delectable little nephew.)
Water: not green. Mothers feel safe letting their adorable children frolic in this water.



I WAS NOT comfortable, especially with this:
Eeeeewwwwww!!




Now, let's talk about the sand. Lake Michigan has wonderful sand. It's not as fine (as in size, not quality) as ocean sand. But it does have a pleasing, smooth texture to it. Our side of Lake Michigan (the East side) is devoid of large rocks and stones, and is very accommodating to not only walking, but creating fun sand sculptures as well.

Again, picture courtesy of my sister's blog. (Once again, my nephew.....when he was itty bitty. Bottom pic is his older sister Nealy, my God-daughter!, posing with one of her Dad's sand creations.)
See? Nice sand. Good sand. Sand that doesn't hurt your feet due to gravel-like rocks. Sand that is easily mold-able and well...just plain FUN!




Here? I've seen gravel roads that look better than this:
Look at my poor baby girl, trying to get the big rocks out of her sand so she can make a castle. Don't get me started on the grass. *rolleyes*




Another look at Grand Haven State Park/Lake Michigan:



And another look at Canoe Creek State Park and The Puddle:
Seriously? There is more grass at this beach, than there is actual beach.



So, would you rather enjoy a day here? Where you have to maneuver your way through fencing set up to keep the geese (and their poop) away?

Or here?

I mean really, it's a no-brainer. Look how excited she is to be at a real beach! One with real sand, and water that isn't green and slimy. (Again, pic of my niece swiped off her Mom's blog.)
"I love the beach!!!"



Some other pics from our day of suffering at The Puddle:

The loved it when Daddy would throw them in the water. I remember loving it when my dad would do the same thing to me when I was a kid, at a real lake.



Right before she asked for her sunglasses. Which she should have had on anyway.



I think he just stepped on a big, sharp, slimy ROCK.



Drew bumped into a future classmate. Rob and I were excited about this until we heard some of the....erm.....um....colorful...language come out of this kid's mouth. Yikes.They did manage to have a good time, while CLOSELY supervised.




I think Gabe missed the waves of the ocean. He loves waves.



Trying to make waves?




Goggle boy. Next time we bring earplugs too. He came home with a bit of swimmer's ear.




Gabe checking out the sliminess.




"Mother, we must do something about your sarcasm."

1 comment:

Emily said...

We love the lake too...hopefully one day we can have ALL the cousins at the REAL lake together...how fun would that be? It does look like you made the best out of a puddle, that takes guts!