It's day 31.
Thirty-one days of confinement, house arrest, imprisonment.....each one is accurate. It's hard to blog when one is confined to literally one room of the house. Yes, it's a big room, and yes I do hop to the bathroom several times a day and to the kids' rooms once a day. But for the most part, I am stuck. I move from the couch to the desk chair, from the desk chair to the couch. Not that exciting. I'm tiring of television and *gasp* the internet. I've read two books, cover to cover and countless magazines.
I'm bored.
I miss my life. I miss being able to take a shower when I want to take a shower. Now I have to schedule a time that's convenient for Rob and the kids, as I need so much assistance. I miss being able to prepare a meal for myself. I'm tiring of toast and bagels. I miss my freedom. I miss my job. Oh.My.God. Do I ever miss Target.
I miss picking up my kids to swing them around. I miss big, squeezy hugs. The kids can't sit on my lap...it's been a long month with very few cuddle cuddles from my babies. I miss our evening dance parties and all that giggling.
I parent from the couch or my chair. The kids have quickly learned that if they make Mom STAND UP and repeat herself, it's not a good thing. Caroline is a little nurse-maid. She fills my water bottle for me, turns on the lights in the bathroom for me and makes sure there is a clear path so my walker and I can get through. Gabe really misses sitting on Momma's lap and cuddling with Momma in the morning. He's handling it well, very well. Drew was a nervous wreck with each of my hospital visits. I'd be greeted with hugs and kisses and plenty declarations of: "Oh Mom, I'm just so glad you're alive!"
Poor Rob has been baptized by fire. He admits to not realizing just how much I do everyday. He's learning how to grocery shop, and why I buy the things I buy. He's learning how anal I am about the laundry. (Don't dry the Gymboree!!!) The dude has dishpan hands from all the dishes. He's had to drop Caroline off at school every morning. he's had to pick up sick boys from school. He's become Mr. Mom, but is always humble enough to request assistance when he's unsure. When this is over, he's going to need a long nap. I just hope this is over before baseball season begins.
I've learned what wonderful friends and neighbors I have. So many of the ladies I work with have brought over meals. This is invaluable and pretty darned yummy too! My neighbors have fed us on numerous occasions and were the ones to find me a walker as well. I have friends who have gone out of their way to make us dinner and to bring Caroline home from school everyday, so Rob wouldn't have to leave work early. I have family who dropped everything (sometimes more than once) to get here to help us. I have friends who have given us gift cards to restaurants so we don't have to worry about lunch or dinner. I have friends who took time out of their day to come help me when Rob had to work, leaving me alone with the kids. I have friends from several states away who have taken time out of their busy schedules to bake some delicious treats, and mailed them priority! I have a mailman who is quite happy to bring the mail to me at the front door, so no one else risks falling in the driveway. I have been on the receiving end of so many prayers and positive thoughts, and have gotten so much encouragement from people near and far. I...no WE...have been very well taken care of. People are kind, people are good.
This newest cast comes off Monday. I don't know what to expect from there. I know my leg will not be weight bearing for quite some time. I'm hoping to get release to go back to work. I know I'll have to spend some time in physical therapy. Honestly, I cannot wait. Let's get back on two feet!
To everyone who has said a prayer, held a good thought, made us dinner, helped us in any way....THANK YOU. I don't know how we'll every repay your kindness.Please know that my family and I are grateful to you and for you.
Let the Fun Begin!
2 months ago

2 comments:
Hope the rest of the recovery goes well and that you have lots of socks in your future...because socks would mean your cast is off! :P
Love you CK! Hope the treats were yummy, I made them full of luv!
Post a Comment