Monday, January 18, 2010

The Re-Cast

So I hopped into the orthopedic surgeon's office today, sporting this lovely accessory on my left leg. It was eight inches wide, I'm not sure how thick, and probably weighed between 15 and 20 pounds. Over the past week I started pulling out some of the cotton, as a reward for not completely losing my mind.



At the appointment, that monstrosity came off, more x-rays were taken and I got a look at my leg for the first time in two weeks. I have three incisions, all are healing nicely, and all the stitches were taken out. I spent five glorious minutes scratching my leg and massaging my calf muscles. Internet, this was the most pleasurable experience I have had in a long time. I almost asked the nurse to leave the room. *ahem*

Alas, the rapture was short-lived. I was handed a ring of color swatches and told to pick a color. After a short deliberation, I opted for pink, because HEY! why not call more attention to myself?!

So now, I am sporting this:



She was kind enough to leave several inches below my knee cast free. This is crucial to me getting up and down the steps to the bathroom. I am Not Good with the crutches, and to ensure I don't break my neck or my other leg, I crawl up the stairs on my knee. It's really not hard, and I've become quite adept at it.




Nah, they don't scare me!

So I have this pretty pink cast for four weeks. No weight on the leg. It's not as heavy, but it's gonna get itchy. Boo. I think I'll let Caroline paint my toenails to match the cast. I'll be smokin'! It's much smaller, and I'm still getting used to the new-found mobility.

Tomorrow I resume taking Caroline to school, as well as picking her up. I can also go back to work! Hopefully there's work for me to do! I miss my job!

And for the record....

These?
Totally conquered.

No comments: