In my ongoing quest to prove to Rob that we don't have to spend a lot of money to entertain him the kids on the weekends, we packed up the van and headed to the State Park.
I am always conflicted about this endeavor. The kids LOVE it. After recently spending time at the ocean, and remembering visits to Lake Michigan, they know this beach is different. For one thing, there's not much sand, AT.ALL. Secondly, there's a lot of grass, and trees.....and pavement. Thirdly, and most notably, you can see woods on the other side of the lake. (I think it's a lake, it's called Canoe Creek, but it seems big for a creek. Pennsylvania is weird.) The kids call it The Puddle, and I wholeheartedly agree.
The Puddle kind of gives me the heebie geebies. The sand is very coarse and pebbly/rocky. Most disturbing to me is the water. It's......well......nasty. There is little to no circulation in this water, and there are bugs, twigs, plants and other such nastiness floating in it. I always have the overwhelming urge to take a skimmer to the whole thing. But the kids don't seem to mind, in fact Caroline loves The Puddle because it's so calm ("No waves Momma!") and all three will swim for hours.
We used the red toboggan sled to pull our beach bag of towels and all the beach chairs. It was so easy, I highly recommend doing this when a wagon is not an option. We were at the "beach" almost five hours. We had a great picnic lunch and when the Park Ranger kicked everyone out of the water due to some thunder rumblings in the area, we had a nice snack. It was a great way to spend the day. Everyone was happy, and other than the little bit of gas it took to get there (and a soda refill for Rob on each side of the trip) the outing was free.
I am always conflicted about this endeavor. The kids LOVE it. After recently spending time at the ocean, and remembering visits to Lake Michigan, they know this beach is different. For one thing, there's not much sand, AT.ALL. Secondly, there's a lot of grass, and trees.....and pavement. Thirdly, and most notably, you can see woods on the other side of the lake. (I think it's a lake, it's called Canoe Creek, but it seems big for a creek. Pennsylvania is weird.) The kids call it The Puddle, and I wholeheartedly agree.
The Puddle kind of gives me the heebie geebies. The sand is very coarse and pebbly/rocky. Most disturbing to me is the water. It's......well......nasty. There is little to no circulation in this water, and there are bugs, twigs, plants and other such nastiness floating in it. I always have the overwhelming urge to take a skimmer to the whole thing. But the kids don't seem to mind, in fact Caroline loves The Puddle because it's so calm ("No waves Momma!") and all three will swim for hours.
We used the red toboggan sled to pull our beach bag of towels and all the beach chairs. It was so easy, I highly recommend doing this when a wagon is not an option. We were at the "beach" almost five hours. We had a great picnic lunch and when the Park Ranger kicked everyone out of the water due to some thunder rumblings in the area, we had a nice snack. It was a great way to spend the day. Everyone was happy, and other than the little bit of gas it took to get there (and a soda refill for Rob on each side of the trip) the outing was free.
"It's not as warm as Gramma's beach!"

Dora and Boots had a good time too!







No comments:
Post a Comment